Power Up Conference, Day 3
December 4th, 5 pm ET/ 2pm PT
This session will discuss the effectiveness of addressing the emotional/cognitive aspects of stuttering in school aged children using a video-based therapy approach. This comprehensive video-based approach consists of 9 sub-categories designed to explore and address the emotional/cognitive aspects of stuttering and empower children who stutter to be resilient in the face of stuttering.
CA SLPAHB: 1.0
Wendy Aguilar, CCC-SLP is a licensed speech-language pathologist and creator of Stutter Squad, a video-based therapy approach to the cognitive/emotional aspects of school aged children who stutter. Wendy is a life-long person who stutters, which drew her to the field of speech-language pathology. She received her under graduate degree at California State University Fullerton where her passion for stuttering awarded her the only student position at The Center for Children Who Stutter. She obtained her Master’s Degree at California State University Northridge and began her career working as a school-based SLP in Moreno Valley, California. Recognizing a huge need in the area of stuttering treatment for school-based speech-language pathology, Wendy partnered with the Lavi Institute to create Stutter Squad, which has been shown to effective in treating the emotional/cognitive aspect of stuttering in children who stutter.
- As a result of this presentation, the participant will be able to describe the positive emotional/cognitive effectiveness of creating an environment where a child who stutters learns about stuttering objectively while relating virtually to a real person who stutters.
- As a result of this presentation, the participant will be able to list specific examples of how cognitive distortions and negative self-talk can be applied in stuttering.
- As a result of this presentation, the participant will be able to explain the cognitive/emotional benefits of addressing facing fears of stuttering rather than solely focusing on attempting to gain fluency in school aged children who stutter.
This course must be watched in its entirety. In order to receive the CMH or the CEU certificate, a quiz is required to be completed with 80% success.
Financial— Wendy Aguilar is the author of the Stutter Squad and receives royalty payments.
Nonfinancial— Wendy is a speech language pathologist who identifies herself as a person who stutters.
- 10 minutes- Introduction/Purpose
- 15 minutes- Program Design and Rationale
- 5 minutes- Goal Setting for individualized education plans
- 15 minutes- Program Research Design and Procedures
- 10 minutes- Results
- 5 minutes- Q&A