August 5th, 5:30pm ET/ 2:30pm PT
This course will review the importance of morphological awareness instruction for supporting the literacy skills of children of a variety of ages. A summary of the research-base on the effectiveness of morphological awareness instruction/intervention will be highlighted. Practical and easily implementable strategies and activities for supporting the morphological awareness skills of children of a variety of age ranges and abilities will be presented.
ASHA: 0.2 ASHA CEUs, Intermediate Level
CA SLPAHB: 2.0
Victoria S. Henbest is an ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologist and Assistant Professor in the Speech Pathology and Audiology Department at the University of South Alabama (USA) where she teaches the undergraduate introductory courses on language and speech disorders as well as the graduate-level school-age language and literacy and assistive technology courses. Dr. Henbest earned her B.S.E in Speech-Language Pathology from the University of Arkansas and M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology from Missouri State University. She earned her Ph.D. in Communication Sciences and Disorders from the University of South Carolina in May 2020. Dr. Henbest has over 10 years of experience working with young children with speech, language, and literacy deficits and since 2016 has published 11 peer-reviewed papers on language and literacy.
This course must be watched in its entirety. In order to receive the CMH or the CEU certificate, a quiz is required to be completed with 80% success.
Financial— Dr. Henbest will receive a speaking fee from the Lavi Institute/Power Up Conference
Nonfinancial— No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
5 mins – Disclosures, Introduction
25 mins – Objectives:
- summarize the evidence-base for morphological awareness instruction and intervention.
- name the key instructional components of morphological awareness instruction and intervention.
- create activities/tasks that teach morphological awareness.
50 mins – Methodology: evidence based procedures and activities for morphological awareness
30 mins – Recommendations: considerations for special populations, adverse impact on education
10 mins – Q&A
- The learner will summarize the evidence-base for morphological awareness instruction and intervention.
- The learner will name the key instructional components of morphological awareness instruction and intervention.
- The learner will create activities/tasks that teach morphological awareness.